Oftentimes, companies pass the first four tests but not the last. For me, that is a major red flag.
MIT TECHNOLOGY REVIEW offers a checklist by Karen Ho to help assess hype-heavy claims about products ‘powered’ by artificial intelligence. Her five hurdles for any contender:
- What is the problem it’s trying to solve?
- How is the company approaching that problem with machine learning?
- How does the company source its training data?
- Does the company have processes for auditing its products?
- Should the company be using machine learning to solve this problem?